A Job for early Spring - Water Tanks
Minimise pests and diseases by making sure that you clean out the water tanks before the water is turned back on. The date is weather dependent, but usually around the beginning of April.
It is unlikely that we will need to use much for a little while, however our sandy soil soon drains, so please make sure you keep your water tank healthy by cleaning it out and avoiding contamination. Do not wash plants, pots or produce directly in the butt; transfer water out of the tank to clean your tools or trays. Also please remember - CLIPS on the tanks MUST BE replaced as soon as the tank has been used. This is a crucial health & safety requirement to avoid risk of drowning. With more children on site, parents will be especially vigilant but we all have a duty of care to our members to keep everybody safe.
Vandalism and damage on the site
Unfortunately we are continuing to receive reports
of damage to property on the plots.
Please report all incidents to Dorset police and inform us .
Click the link below to report to the police:
Burning your green waste
No Bonfires between 1st June & 30th September.
The following guidelines have been agreed with Bournemouth Borough Council:
- Where possible all green waste will be composted.
- Any green waste for burning will be put to one side and covered until it has fully dried off and will be dry before burning.
- No fires will be lit on clear or sunny days or when neighbours will have windows open or washing out.
- Fires will not be lit when the wind direction would cause smoke to blow towards the houses or across any of the roads bordering the sites.
- If a fire starts to smoke, or the wind changes direction, no more material will be added and the fire will be allowed to go out quickly or be put out.
- It is requested that fires should not be lit before 6.30pm (unless it is very cold and there is little likelihood of neighbours having their windows open or washing hanging out).
- Fires should not produce thick smoke at any time and must not be used for burning anything other than plant material.
Please keep a bucket of water handy in case the fire starts to get out of control. We recommend the use of metal incinerator bins to contain the fire. Open bonfires are permitted but please remember to check for wildlife under your bonfire pile before lighting. Please do not burn anything that is potentially toxic such as plastic, rubber or other man made materials. Also please comply quickly if asked to extinguish your fire. Never leave your bonfire unattended.
If a larger than normal bonfire is planned or the bonfire produces a lot of smoke:-
Please phone the Dorset & Wiltshire Fire Call Centre on 0306 799 0019 and inform them of the bonfire.
This, hopefully, will prevent the fire service being called out unnecessarily. If the need for the fire brigade to attend does arise, please use this same number not 999.
To avoid complaints from the neighbouring houses, the committee requests that all members adhere to these guidelines and remind fellow members if they are not adhering to these guidelines.
MAIN WATER SUPPLY
Use of on-site mains water
Both our sites have a mains water supply to butts in various locations around each site.
The water supply is turned off in October and on again in March.
It would be appreciated if tenants could clean out the water tanks during this period that the water is off.
The water is free for tenants to use but our supply is metered. Please use the water responsibly. No hose pipes are allowed to be connected to the mains water supply on site.
All water butts are fitted with a ball-valve that allows them to refill automatically as you draw water in your watering can or bucket.
Each water butt has two hinged lids that are locked with loops and R-clips. These must be used to secure the lids in place after you have finished using the water butt. The clips are a safety measure designed to prevent the risk of drowing by any small children that may be on site. The lids are also secured to prevent them being damaged or torn in high winds.
Please ensure you fasten the clips in place.